Monday, March 12, 2012

Today is the day...




I've had a few aspiring entrepreneurs ask me about how to get going with their business. There is a long list of things to be done including business licenses, ordering supplies, marketing, etc. This, of course, is a concept that can be applied to anything in life that you are trying to achieve whether it be school, personal, or work related goals.

When and where do you start? The answer is... You start today with the first thing you can think of! Start somewhere. There is not defined order as to how we should go about achieving our goals. Some things do come before others, but they won't come unless you start doing something today.

When I started Corks & Colors Studio I started looking at wholesale suppliers of the materials I needed. I would email myself the link to their website when I found a good one so I would have it saved. Then, one day I googled "classroom space, Gainesville, FL" and one of the search results was the Santa Fe CIED, which later became our location to teach classes out of. I had decided that I would find a place that would rent space to me per hour and then I would have 1 class, and I would schedule subsequent classes based on the results of my first class. In fact, when I had my first class I didn't have a date picked out for the next class. I was literally taking it one step at a time.


At that time, thinking of having the money to pay for a retail space was beyond what I could afford and I just decided that I would start somewhere, have a class, and make bigger decisions after that.

The next month we had 2 classes. The next month we had 4. Now we have 16 classes scheduled per month, not counting private parties. We don't always get a huge crowd for every single class, but that is just part of the process of being a growing business.

Start somewhere and anywhere. Everything else will fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment